Cinnamon is a powerful spice that has been used medicinally around the world for thousands of years.
Cinnamon’s potent health benefits are derived from the Cinnamomum tree. The bark, specifically, contains several compounds responsible for its health-promoting properties including cinnamaldehyde, cinnamic acid, and cinnamate. Together, these compounds make cinnamon one of the most beneficial spices, rich with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, anti-microbial, immunity-boosting, cancer and heart disease-protecting abilities.
The best part? Even a little goes a long way. Just ½-teaspoon of cinnamon daily can have positive effects on blood sugar levels, digestion, and immunity, among other benefits. Stronger doses can improve heart disease while curbing users’ risk for diabetes, cancer, and neurodegenerative diseases. Some simple ways to get a little — or a lot — of cinnamon in your day?
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top of oatmeal, cereal, or toast in the morning
- Incorporate cinnamon into dishes such as classic chili or spaghetti sauce
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon to your protein shake or morning smoothie
- Stir a teaspoon of cinnamon into a glass of herbal tea or coffee, or stir your coffee/tea with a cinnamon stick
- Combine three cups of milk with one tsp of vanilla extract and one tsp of cinnamon
- Blend and serve chilled — this “cinnamon vanilla milk” is perfect for kids and adults
Alternatively, cinnamon is available in supplement form and can be picked up at any pharmacy or drugstore. It’s commonly packaged as a solo supplement or as a component in blood sugar support supplements.
Improve your circulation and help your lymph glands to drain and function better by the way you towel off. When drying off your limbs and torso, brush towards the groin on your legs and towards the armpits on your upper body.
Snacking carrot sticks? Make sure you eat them with some fat — a dab of guacamole, let’s say, or a cube of cheese. Without any fat, you absorb very little of carrot’s cancer-fighting carotenoids.
As a Seattle Chiropractor focusing on Structural Correction, Foundation Chiropractic believes that many factors are necessary for optimal health and structure.
If you would like to set up a complimentary consultation, give us a call at 206-201-0145.
Foundation Chiropractic – Seattle Chiropractic Center is located at 2326 Rainier Ave S, Seattle, WA 98144.